Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Walking in the Dark . . .

We lived in our Tennessee home for thirteen years. Long enough to get to know every inch of the house. We could show you little nicks in the wall where our son and his friend were speeding through the house in his friend's wheelchair. I could walk in the dark from one end of the house to the next, even navigating the steps in complete darkness wasn't a problem.













So when we moved to Europe, after a few weeks of living in our new home, I didn't think twice about doing the same thing here. The trouble was we had only lived here around thirteen weeks as opposed to thirteen years. So I did not know every inch of the way. So off I headed from our living quarters into the entry way of the center. Six year old Tre was right behind me as we walked through the blackness and, suddenly out of nowhere the hook from a coat rack, and my eye met up in the darkness, and brought me to an immediate stop. I thought for sure I had punctured my eye, it was like a flash went off in my face. The pain was intense. We turned around, and made our way slowly back out of the darkness and up the steps to the livingroom, and I to the bathroom. After finally taking my hand away and looking in the mirror, it was plain to see that my eye had not been mortally wounded, the eyelid fortunately had kept the eyeball itself from serious injury. The trouble was now I was seeing double. Now I am thinking, "great," I have to go to the hospital and see what sort of long term damage I have inflicted on my eye. I walked into the office where the others were, and Paula took one look at me and asked me what was wrong, I told her what happened, and Tre who really didn't know that I'd hurt myself in the dark came to my side and said, pastor, can I pray for you? Of course my immediate response was yes, and the good news is that after a few more minutes, the vision returned to normal. Will "eye" be walking in the dark anytime soon, not likely. I think there's a message in here somewhere.

No comments: