Saturday, November 14, 2015

Living in a totally different world . . .

 

The above image was taken this past week at just a few minutes after eleven a.m. Where in northern Alaska we are getting just over six hours of light each day. We also lose right around seven minutes of light daily until the twenty-second of December, where we will then begin regaining that which we have lost. The year kind of goes like this, winter darkness, spring normal light, summer lotsa' light, and fall once again normal light. So one of the questions most asked are, "how can you handle the darkness of winter? It seems like it would be so depressing." For me, or actually both of us, the winter isn't bad at all, because we can turn on lots of light, and at bed time we turn it off. The fall and spring are kind of like yours, normal light, so that's easy. It's the summer that kind of throws us off balance, because when we're out and about having a good time, pretty soon it's four a.m. and the sun is still up, what to do?
 

Well then there's my Pretty Paula, she's been my best friend, my pal, my confidante for thirty-eight years, and for nearly thirty-six of those years she's been my wife. There it is, in a winter season with lots of darkness, she brings loads and loads of light. I am blessed and highly favored that she calls me, "hers." and the converse as well. We have seen many places in this world, inclusive are North, Central, and South America, Asia, Europe most of the Caribbean, and we still have a lot of years ahead.
It is funny how that we have come full circle to the place of my birth, and now minister here to our own people. So many times I wish I could sit and have a chat with my mom and dad who adopted me and took me with them on their world adventures, and let them know that I'm back where it all started. Somehow I think they just might know . . .

No comments: